Family escape electrical fire

A YOUNG Ipswich family had a lucky escape today after firefighters doused an electrical fire in their loft.David Gittings, 31, of Sheldrake Drive, smelt burning at about 6.

A YOUNG Ipswich family had a lucky escape today after firefighters doused an electrical fire in their loft.

David Gittings, 31, of Sheldrake Drive, smelt burning at about 6.20am and immediately dialled 999.

He then made sure six-year-old Dominic, Nathan, two, and his partner Lisa Sheridan, 31, got out of the house.

Fire crews arrived and identified a badly fitted junction box as the cause of the problem.

Mr Gittings, who has been living in the semi-detached house for eight months, said he had just got up when he realised there was a problem.

He said: "I went into the bathroom, turned the light on and was having a shave. Then the lights flickered and went out.

Most Read

"There was this crackling sound and I smelt burning, so I got the kids out and called the fire brigade.

"Luckily there's not been much damage. The fire brigade told us it was caused by too many wires being put into a junction box."

Two appliances from Princes Street, Ipswich spent nearly an hour dealing with the incident, which was confined to a small area of the loft.

Mr Gittings added: "I'm relieved it wasn't any worse. The fire brigade said they caught it in time before it became anything major."

Today's fire has once again highlighted the perils of sub-standard electrical systems.

Each year an average of ten people die and about 750 are seriously injured in accidents involving unsafe electrical installations in the home.

This has prompted new laws, due to come in force in January, that mean all major electrical work has to be carried out by a qualified electrician.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter