Family fears over gas boiler
A FATHER-of-two today claimed his house could have been blown to smithereens after a gas leak was not stopped.Ryan Jansz and his wife Katrina, of Corton Road, woke to an overwhelming smell of fumes early one morning.
A FATHER-of-two today claimed his house could have been blown to smithereens after a gas leak was not stopped.
Ryan Jansz and his wife Katrina, of Corton Road, woke to an overwhelming smell of fumes early one morning.
Mr Jansz claimed he was later told by a Transco engineer that gas accounted for 60 per cent of the air in his three-bedroom council house.
The couple believe the leak was linked to a faulty boiler, but Mr Jansz claims Ipswich council said it was safe to use just days earlier.
You may also want to watch:
The family, including disabled son Adam, five, and daughter Stacey, 14, fear an explosion could have been caused by the slightest spark.
Mr Jansz said the boiler had been playing up for around two weeks, despite repeated visits from council engineers.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 3 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 7 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 8 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 9 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 10 3 new eateries for you to try as Covid rules ease
The matter came to a head at around 2.30am on December 17, when Mrs Jansz woke up with a splitting headache.
She instantly smelt gas and alerted her husband. The family was then forced to wait outside in freezing conditions while the boiler was disconnected.
Mrs Jansz said: "I think we've been treated really disgustingly.
"Me waking up that morning has probably saved our lives. It's lucky I did."
Mr Jansz added: "If the wife hadn't have woken up I'm pretty sure we would've been gassed by the morning.
"The slightest spark could've caused an explosion as well."
Manufacturers of the appliance have since been to the house to examine it and discovered a crushed pipe. This has been replaced and the problem solved.
But Mr Jansz said the family is still furious about the way they have been treated.
A spokesman for Ipswich council said: "We take all concerns of this nature very seriously indeed and undertook a joint inspection of the boiler on Friday.
"We've spoken to our engineer today and he tells us that the equipment is performing safely and satisfactorily.
"We make regular safety checks but any tenant with similar concerns should let us know immediately – we're here to help."
A spokesman for Transco confirmed its engineers were called out twice to disconnect the boiler.
December 10 – Mr Jansz called Ipswich Borough Council for the first time about his faulty boiler. Their engineers put in a new control board.
December 11 – This did not cure the problem so Mr Jansz called the council again. This time a new part was installed.
December 12 – Once again, Mr Jansz called the council, who sent an engineer out. They managed to restart the heater and left it up and running again. A temporary heating system was also left in case they had further problems.
December 14 – After being unable to start the boiler again, they called the engineer out, who managed to start it and said there was nothing wrong.
1pm December 16 – The Jansz family return home to a house "stinking of gas". This time they called out a Transco engineer, who identified an ignition problem, disconnected it and advised the family to get the council to deal with it.
5.30-6pm – An Ipswich council engineer comes to round to re-connect the boiler. Mr Jansz claims he was told there was nothing wrong with it.
2.30am December 17 – Mrs Jansz wakes with a headache and immediately smells a strong whiff of gas. They immediately call Transco, who arrive within 30 minutes and disconnect the system. The family is forced to wait outside in the cold until an engineer arrives.
12.30pm – Council engineers reconnect the boiler. Within 30 minutes the family started smelling gas again. They called Transco, who arrived at about 2pm and discovered a leak.
10pm – The boiler would not ignite so the family called the council, who refused to come out.