Family of RAF veteran who died after being given the wrong pills by pharmacy warn others to check their medication
- Credit: PA
The family of RAF veteran Douglas Lamond who died after staff at a Boots pharmacy in Felixstowe gave him another patient’s medication have warned others to check their prescriptions so they don’t go through the same ‘devastating experience’.
At the inquest into Mr Lamond’s death, Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a narrative conclusion saying he had died from the combined effects of his serious medical conditions and the consequences of a ‘very significant accidental dispensing error’.
Mr Lamond, 86, of Stuart Close in Felixstowe, was wrongly given anti-diabetic drug Gliclazide, which lowers blood sugar levels, putting him at a higher risk of having a heart attack.
Mr Lamond died at Ipswich Hospital on May 12, 2012.
Today his daughter Diane Moore issued a statement on behalf of the family urging people to check the labels of their medication.
She said: “After almost five years I am glad to finally have the circumstances of my father’s tragic and traumatic death in the open.
“My father Douglas Lamond was a kind, thoughtful endearing man, a real gentleman who despite his poor vision never complained and remained resolute in his determination to remain in his own home, in the company of his two dogs, with occasional support where needed.
- 1 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 6 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 7 Regent expansion project takes step forward as plans urged for approval
- 8 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich
- 10 'They saved our boy's life' - Fundraiser for hospital that helped little Rocco
“In later life he had needed a number of medications and he trusted his Boots pharmacy to send out his tablets according to his prescription, and that the prescription would be current.
“Given his severe visual impairment and limited mobility this was not unreasonable.
“He certainly never expected such carelessness and breach of duty of care from Boots.
“We would urge any person in receipt of medications to check labels and prescriptions for accuracy because errors happen and the outcome can be both painful and devastating.
“We would not wish any other family to go through such a devastating experience.
“I am grateful that Boots have finally acknowledged the seriousness of the mistakes that have been made.”
Detective Superintendent Andy Smith from Suffolk police said: “Our sincere hope is that all companies and individuals involved in the prescription, assembly and dispensation of medicines will seek to learn the lessons of this tragic case.
“Attention to detail and careful preparation, adhering to approved standard operating procedures are nothing short of essential.
“I would also wish take this opportunity to urge continued vigilance by members of the public, especially those involved in caring for more vulnerable members of society to ensure they check prescription labels for accuracy and to raise any concerns they may have with appropriate health care professionals.”
A spokesman for Boots UK said: “We’re so sorry for this tragic error.
“Our pharmacy has been providing care to the community in Felixstowe for many years, with patient care and safety at the heart of what we do.
“We’d like to extend our sympathies to Mr Lamond’s family, and reassure our customers and patients that since this incident in 2012 we’ve shared the learnings from our investigation to help prevent this ever happening in the future. “