Search

Family's despair over blaze

PUBLISHED: 11:52 18 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:57 03 March 2010

A FAMILY are today coming to terms with their devastation after they watched in despair as fire ripped through their garage workshop, destroying the business they had spent 16 years building up.

A FAMILY are today coming to terms with their devastation after they watched in despair as fire ripped through their garage workshop, destroying the business they had spent 16 years building up.

Eight fire crews were drafted in to tackle the blaze in Aldeburgh and roadblocks were set up as they fought to contain the flames and stop them spreading to nearby petrol tanks and gas cylinders.

Explosions were heard coming from the workshop in Saxmundham Road, which contained a small number of liquid petroleum gas and argon cylinders.

David Trezise, who is a partner in Aldeburgh Service Centre with his wife Denise, was working in the building with his son Chris when the fire broke out.

Mr Trezise said he had tried to tackle a small blaze that had broken out in the workshop, but could not get the fire extinguisher to work.

"There was a fire and then I couldn't do anything about it. I tried to put it out. It was spreading quite quickly. If you have ever come across a fire, basically the first few seconds are very important. I didn't have time to do anything else," he added.

They got out of the workshop and called the fire brigade, who got to the scene just after 1.15pm yesterday, but the building was already ablaze.

Mr Trezise and his family, who are all involved in the business, were trying to come to terms with the scale of the destruction yesterday. Inside the devastated building were the charred remains of their garage tools and equipment.

"Sixteen years gone in a matter of two minutes. The whole place has had it. What am I doing to do for work? Where am I going to go for income now? I can't believe it, I just can't believe it. I haven't even got a spanner left, nothing," he said.

Fire crews from Aldeburgh, Leiston, Saxmundham, Orford, Framlingham, Woodbridge, Ipswich and Halesworth took just over an hour to bring the blaze under control.

They made sure the workshop had been evacuated and then set about trying to prevent the blaze from spreading to nearby petrol tanks which had just been filled and about 25 cylinders of liquid petroleum gas stored outside.

Live electrical cables were also trailing down into puddles of water and technicians from the electricity company were called to isolate them.

An investigation into the blaze has been launched, but Mr Sanderson said: "We don't believe it to be suspicious. We believe it to be accidental."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star