Family's heating nightmare
THIS Christmas should have been like a dream for one Ipswich family when they moved into their new home.But it turned out to be more like a nightmare when they were left without gas for the whole of the holiday leaving them with no heating, hot water or cooker.
THIS Christmas should have been like a dream for one Ipswich family when they moved into their new home.
But it turned out to be more like a nightmare when they were left without gas for the whole of the holiday leaving them with no heating, hot water or cooker.
And despite Ipswich Borough Council sending out an engineer on Christmas Eve he said he as unable to fix the problem until January 5 when everyone came back to work.
To add insult to injury they were provided with two electric heaters – but they are on pre-paid electric and ended up forking out £20 within three days on electricity to try and keep the house warm.
Luckily mother-of-two Tanya Howgego, 26, was able to spend much of Christmas at her mother's house but because her mother was ill, she had to go back to the house, warmed by just two electric heaters, on a number of occasions.
Her problems started on December 23 when she went to move into the three-bedroomed house in Devonshire Road, Ipswich with one-year-old Luke and four-year-old Charlie.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 6 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 7 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 10 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
She said: "I had been in temporary accommodation for seven months.
"When I got the letter through from the council saying I had got a house I cried my eyes out – it was my dream.
"It was all I wanted just to get settled and get my children settled but it turned into my worst nightmare."
Miss Howgego said that because the house had been standing empty for so long before she moved in, the gas had been capped off and there was also a problem with the boiler.
Miss Howgego said: "Because my mum was ill I had to come home to give her a rest.
"I was also ill and so was my baby. I had to keep the heaters on all night to keep us warm and my clothes were damp."
A spokeswoman for Ipswich Borough Council said that the council are unable to do anything until they know who the gas supplier is, but the problem is now due to be repaired.
She said: "On 24th December an engineer was sent to the property to repair the problem, he was unable to do so on his first visit and required the
assistance of an electrician.
"Because of the Christmas break this was not possible, the standby service
only operates an emergency response and provides temporary heating. This was delivered to Miss Howgego on Christmas Eve immediately after the repairman indicated he could not repair the fault.
"Miss Howgego may be entitled to compensation under our right to repair
scheme but she needs to make a claim in writing to this office and it will
be fully investigated and her claim assessed and she will receive a full
N What do you think? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk