Family pay tribute to father and ‘devoted teacher’ killed in crash
- Credit: Contributed
The family of a loving father and “outstanding PE teacher” have paid tribute to him after his tragic death in a cycling accident.
“Passionate sportsman” Matthew Jack died after he was involved in a collision with a Land Rover in Creeting St Mary, at the junction of Flordon Road and Coddenham Road, on Good Friday.
Tributes soon flooded in for the Claydon High School teacher, with a statement from the school where he had worked for nearly 20 years saying he would be “sorely missed”.
But now the 49-year-old father’s family have spoken movingly about him, saying: “Matthew Jack was a devoted teacher at Claydon High School for nearly 20 years, and he was valued and respected by both pupils and staff.
“As a friend once said, he was unapologetically committed to his wife, kids and wider family.
“Matt had a strong, quiet, secure faith in God that gave him such wisdom, patience, calmness and integrity.
“He was a passionate sportsman who loved competing. However, nothing was more important to him than adventures with his wife and kids and supporting them with all their ambitions.”
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
- 7 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 8 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 9 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 10 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
A book of condolence is due to be opened at the school for those who would like to pay tribute to Mr Jack.
Many pupils and former students have already taken to social media to record their memories of him.
The statement from Claydon High School said: “Staff, students and governors at Claydon High School were saddened to hear of the news of Matt Jack’s death in a cycling accident on Good Friday,” it read.
“Our thoughts are with Matt’s wife, children and family at this very difficult time. He will be sorely missed by everyone at the school and our huge sense of loss is shared by ex-students and the wider community.
“Matt Jack was an outstanding PE teacher and a very popular figure at the school where he had worked for 19 years.
“He was a modest man, who inspired confidence in those he taught through his excellent subject knowledge and his caring personality which was dedicated to supporting each and every young person he taught to aim high and succeed in all aspects of their lives.”