Family willing Liam to pull through after alleged attack
IPSWICH: As Liam Rumsey battles for life, his younger sister Emily spoke of her family’s love for him, while willing the 21-year-old to pull through.
Mr Rumsey was left with severe head injuries following an alleged attack at Orwell Country Park in Nacton.
Five people are due to appear in court today accused of causing Mr Rumsey grievous bodily harm after they were charged late yesterday afternoon, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said.
Mr Rumsey, a former Chantry High School pupil, has been in a critical condition in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, since being taken there on Monday night.
Emily, who lives with Mr Rumsey, their brother Tom, and mother Johanna, in Atherton Road, Ipswich, said the family are drawing strength from each other.
She said yesterday: “We’re all still in shock, but were all keeping tight and supporting each other. Our main focus is obviously Liam having a speedy recovery. He is doing well. The hospital is pleased with his progress.
“We are all so proud of how he is getting a little bit stronger each and every day.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 4 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 5 Regent expansion project takes step forward as plans urged for approval
- 6 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
- 7 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 8 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 10 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
“We were all absolutely torn up to hear about the (alleged) attack on Liam. We love him very, very much.”
A further arrest of a woman yesterday took the total number of people detained in the inquiry to 11 – nine males and two females.She was released on bail until June 25.
A 17-year-old, two 18 year olds and two 20 year olds were released on police bail earlier this week, pending further inquiries.
One was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, while the others were arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.
Mr Rumsey was injured at around 3.50pm on Monday in a clearing in Bridge Wood.
Four of those currently on bail were detained in Bixley Road, Ipswich, less than an hour-and-a-half later.