Felixstowe: Bid to solve dispute over hockey club bar at academy site
CONDITIONS have been agreed which could allow a hockey club to run a bar with an alcohol licence on a school campus.
Felixstowe Academy and Felixstowe Hockey Club have been in talks to try to find a solution which would enable the hockey clubhouse to move into the Our Place community hub alongside its all-weather pitch at the school’s Maidstone Campus.
The academy initially objected to the drinks licence because of concerns about alcohol being available near school premises, and academy and hockey events taking places on the same evenings, which it was feared could lead to safety risks because of the increased use of the site by cars coupled with alcohol consumption.
A joint statement from Felixstowe Hockey Club and Felixstowe Academy said it was hoped a solution could be found.
“Since the initial objection was made, the club has had several constructive meetings and discussions with the academy to address these concerns and move forward in a way that will satisfy the needs and concerns of everyone involved,” said the statement.
“As well as Felixstowe Academy and Felixstowe Hockey Club, this also includes the many users of the community hub and the local community itself.”
Two specific conditions had now been agreed between the two organisations to enable the project to move forward:
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 3 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 6 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 7 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 8 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 9 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 10 Ipswich bus fares to increase after 'significant' drop in usage
? If there are Academy events on during the evenings on Tuesdays during term time, then the hockey club will not open their bar facilities. At least 24 hours notice of such events will be given by the academy.
? The club will write to local residents providing information regarding their regular opening hours, notice of any events and appropriate contact numbers should local residents have any concerns or issues.
“Both Felixstowe Hockey Club and Felixstowe Academy will continue to work closely together to ensure that this project goes ahead and benefits as many sections of the Felixstowe community as possible,” said the statement.
Suffolk Coastal’s licensing and health sub-committee will meet on Monday, December 17, to decide the issue.