Felixstowe: Boxers’ hopes of a knockout night
- Credit: Archant
THREE members of a new boxing club will take to the ring this weekend.
There has been huge interest in Felixstowe Whitecollar Boxing Club since it launched last autumn with more than 100 members already in training.
The club meets at the Memorial Hall, Trimley St Martin, and is in negotiations to take over the old car showroom at the garage in High Road West, where it will be able to have a permanent ring set up.
On Saturday three of its fighters will travel to the Liquid nightclub in Colchester. Anton Clifton and Mat Hopkins will be taking part in their first welterweight fights, while Steve Hovender will be fighting at middleweight. It’s Steve’s second fight– he lost narrowly in his first, fought after only six weeks in training.
Gary Garbutt, who runs the club, said: “If they do well we can start pushing for title fights.”
You may also want to watch:
Call 0744 6137 305 for for tickets.
- 1 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 2 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 3 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 4 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 7 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 8 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
- 9 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- 10 Ipswich woman who punched partner in face is ordered to pay compensation