Felixstowe: Cadets honoured for year of achievement
AIR cadets were rewarded for 12 months of hard work and dedication to duty and the community at their annual awards and squadron open evening.
Members of the 356 (Felixstowe) Squadron held the event at their headquarters on Carr Road, Felixstowe.
Cadets put on displays in all the rooms and some made presentations for the guests, describing some of the many squadron activities, including orienteering, rifle shooting, adventure training and the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
During the evening, squadron padre Rev Ken Martin enrolled four new cadets – Harry Stanbridge, Chloe Sadler, Nicholas Swain and Harley Barkes.
All the awards were presented by Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Staff Officer, Squadron Leader Graham Deere.
These included BTEC Aviation Studies Level 2 Awards to Sergeants Daniel Marsh and Joe Adams, and Corporals Nathan Walker, Josh Mayes, and Alex Fletcher.
The Squadron Awards for 2012 were:
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 4 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 5 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 6 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 7 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 8 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 9 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 10 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
n Best Attendance Award – Flight Sergeant Luke Hargreaves.
n Academic Achievement – Sergeant Christopher Bearcroft.
n BTEC Achievement – Corporal Alex Fletcher.
n Marksman Award – Corporal Nathan Walker.
n Best New Recruit – Cadet Nathaniel Adams.
n Smartness and Bearing Award – Flight Sergeant Jenna Walker.
n 356 (Felixstowe) Squadron Cadet of the Year - Corporal Luke Hammond.
Two cadets were promoted during the evening with Jack Moore rising from Corporal to Sergeant, and Andrew Jacklin from Cadet to Corporal.
Three staff members were awarded the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal – Commanding Officer, Flt Lt Lieutenant Nick Castle, Flt Lt Barry Smith and Flying Officer Carolyn Garrett.