Felixstowe carer appears in court on theft charges totalling £10k from seven women
- Credit: Archant
A 58-year-old carer has appeared in court today charged with stealing items totalling more than £10,000 from seven women she was caring for.
The allegations against Susan Ogden of Cambridge Road, Felixstowe, span a period of 20 months.
Two of the alleged offences are said to have taken place in Felixstowe, while the remainder are reported to have happened in Ipswich.
Ogden pleaded guilty to two charges when she made her first appearance before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich.
Ogden admitted theft in a dwelling relating to jewellery valued at £2,500.
The offence occurred at a property in Felixstowe between February 22 and April 5 this year.
She also pleaded guilty to stealing a ring worth £150 from another woman.
- 1 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 2 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 3 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 4 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 6 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 7 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 8 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 10 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
That offence occurred in Ipswich between May 16, 2015, and November 18, 2015.
Ogden has denied the remaining five accusations against her.
She is accused of stealing jewellery and prescription medication to the value of £100 from another woman.
The alleged theft is said to have happened in Ipswich on June 21, 2016.
A fourth charge states Ogden stole three rings in a Bravington ring box to the value of £3,200.
The allegation is reported to have occurred at a premises in Ipswich between May 16, 2016, and August 24, 2016.
Another accusation is that Ogden stole 21 items of jewellery to the value of £5,000 from a fifth woman in Ipswich between May 3, 2016, and May 26, 2016.
The sixth charge relates to the alleged theft of a watch worth £50 belonging to another woman.
This is said to have happened between July 14 and July 15 last year in Ipswich.
The final accusation is that Ogden stole prescription medication between January 11 and July 15 last year in Felixstowe.
Prosecutor David Bryant said the Crown’s position was that as a carer Ogden was in a position of trust as she had been looking after elderly or vulnerable people.
Ogden was charged in connection with the alleged offences on June 26.
District Judge Celia Dawson sent the case to Ipswich Crown Court where Ogden’s next hearing is due on August 21. Ogden was released on unconditional bail.