Felixstowe: Celebrated violinist to play at church concert
- Credit: Archant
MUSIC lovers in Felixstowe are looking forward to a special treat tomorrow – when celebrated violinist Ken Sillito will be playing a concert with one of the town’s most popular ensembles.
Mr Sillito will be joining the Ward Quartet – normally led by Nick Ward – for the event at St Andrew’s Church, at 3pm.
He is renowned for leading the English Chamber Orchestra, Gabrielli String Quartet and the London-based Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields.
Mr Sillito, who lives at Westleton, taught for 17 years at the Royal Academy of Music – until playing commitments forced him to give up.
He has taught music courses at Essex University and also at American universities while on tour.
The programme for the concert includes Ravel’s Introduction and Allegro and also an arrangement of Mozart’s flute and harp concerto for string sextet.
The musicians playing in the concert are delighted at the chance to be led by such a distinguished and accomplished musician.
- 1 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 2 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 3 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 4 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 5 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 6 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 7 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 8 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 9 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 10 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
Flute player Anna Noakes said she was “excited beyond measure” to hear the news.
Concert organiser and cellist Harriet Bennett said: “We are just thrilled to be joined by such a fantastic musician.
“The music we shall be playing is really lovely.”
Tickets for the concert on Sunday, March 3, priced £10, can be booked in advance on 01394 670633 or will be available on the door.