Felixstowe: Champion women tell their inspiring stories ahead of Women’s Tour cycling event
- Credit: Archant
Three sporting heroes were celebrated at a special evening as part of the build-up to the arrival of the first ever Women’s Tour cycling event in Suffolk next week.
Telemark skiing star Jasmin Taylor, Olympic handball player Louise Jukes, both from Suffolk, and two-time European and eight-time British cyclo-cross champion Helen Wyman, who will be participating in the Women’s Tour, took part in the special “Evening with ...” event in Felixstowe.
They told their inspiring stories of how they worked to get to the top of their sports and answered questions from the audience of around 60 people at The Alex, in Undercliff Road West.
There was also an auction with Richard Bannister, of Bannister and Co, Felixstowe, putting several top cycling prizes under the hammer.
Suffolk Coastal District Council leader Ray Herring, who was in the audience, said: “This was a perfect curtain raiser for the inaugural Women’s Tour coming to Felixstowe next week.
“Listening to the obstacles that the women had to overcome to reach the top, and the inequality between men and women’s sport in this country, was quite humbling and thought-provoking.
“Our thanks need to go to them for giving up their time to inspire us all and help highlight the Tour.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 5 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 6 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 7 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 8 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 Soldier headbutted police officer after being caught drink driving
- 10 Impact of pandemic on Ipswich town centre outlined in report
“I would encourage everyone to get out and support this event next Friday, particularly cheering on Helen, who will be riding in the tour as part of the Matrix Fitness-Vulpine team.”
World and Olympic champion Marianne Vos and world number one Emma Johansson will be among those taking part when Felixstowe hosts stage three on May 9.