Felixstowe: Coastwatch on the look-out for members
A GROUP which plays a vital role in Felixstowe’s coastal safety network is seeking more volunteers.
The Felixstowe station of Coastwatch – part of a national chain of teams watching the country’s sea and shores – is hoping more men and women will join its ranks to help it maintain the service it provides.
The group keeps a visual watch during daylight hours at weekends and Bank Holidays throughout the year and afternoons daily in the summer school holidays over Felixstowe Bay and the Haven approaches to the port.
Members log passing vessels, maintain radio surveillance and watch out for events, accidents and incidents which may need professional rescue services, liaising with the Coastguard when help is needed.
After training, the volunteers join a rota, giving eight to 12 hours per month at the Coastwatch look-out post at the top of the Martello Tower on the south seafront. Previous maritime experience is not necessary.
? Anyone interested in joining the team or finding out more about what is involved – a taster session can be arranged at the tower – should call 01394 272440.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 4 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 7 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 10 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow