Felixstowe: Community leaders happy to look at leisure use for Spa Pavilion
Running the Spa Pavilion as a theatre is only one of many options for the seaside venue’s future.
Community leaders say they will be happy to look at any potential leisure use for the council-owned building on Felixstowe seafront – and it may get a completely unexpected new lease of life.
Supporters are trying to put together a rescue package to keep the theatre as a live entertainment venue following the launch of the Ipswich Star’s Save Our Spa campaign after Suffolk Coastal announced that it was withdrawing its financial subsidy.
The council has since agreed to keep the theatre open until January – and is talking with the current operators Openwide Coastal to secure a deal.
But Geoff Holdcroft, council cabinet member for leisure and economic development, said the council would not just be working with charitable trusts and similar bodies interested in taking over the Spa Pavilion.
These would have to bid for the building alongside other commercial operators.
It was possible that leisure ideas other than a theatre might be put forward for the future of the building which could attract all-day and all-year-round visitors to Felixstowe.
- 1 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 5 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 9 Ukrainian family finally coming to Ipswich after eight-week visa struggle
- 10 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
“We have got to examine all the possibilities and options for the use of the building,” said Mr Holdcroft.
“At the moment, most of the week it’s not in use and the venue’s space must be maximised.
“We want to keep the Spa Pavilion and we are all going to work hard to make sure that happens. We want the community and others to get behind it and put forward ideas.”
? What other leisure uses would suit the Spa? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com