Felixstowe: Fears that loss of Tesco Metro store would have serious impact
- Credit: Archant
COMMUNITY leaders have reacted with horror after being told Felixstowe’s town centre Tesco Metro may only remain open for five years if the company’s superstore project is approved.
Tesco is willing to sign a legal agreement guaranteeing that if the plans for the 30-acre Walton Green development are given the go-ahead the Hamilton Road store will stay open for a minimum of five years.
But town councillors are deeply worried – and fear closure could leave a huge hole in the town centre.
The Tesco Metro is one of the biggest stores in Hamilton Road, helping to attract people to shop in the town.
The town council – which is recommending refusal of the superstore in Walton High Street – has written to Suffolk Coastal to say closure of the Tesco Metro would be a “serious loss to the town”.
Councillor Mike Stokell said the closure of the popular store would have a “devastating impact” on the footfall in the town centre and would be a very big shop to fill with a new business.
Tesco expects £1.76million of its turnover from the Hamilton Road shop to be diverted to its new superstore.
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 6 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 7 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Warning after spate of catalytic converter thefts
- 10 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
The company’s retail consultants Alsop Verrill said: “Our assessment shows that the other convenience goods shops in the town centre will barely be affected, largely because of their specialist roles.”
It is understood Tesco felt five years was a reasonable time to guarantee in the changing world of retail and when looking forward for a business.
A spokesman for the company said the store in Hamilton Road would remain open.
Give us your views – write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or email firstname.lastname@example.org