Felixstowe: Free parking is extended for Christmas festivities on Saturday after traders’ protest
- Credit: Archant
Protests over a two-hour period of free parking granted for a town’s Christmas celebrations have led to a change of heart.
Suffolk Coastal announced that parking charges would be set aside from 4pm to 6pm in Felixstowe on Saturday – when the town has a Christmas craft market and the switching on of its festive season lighting display.
But the decision was slammed by Andrew Rowdon, chairman of the resort’s chamber of trade, as “not worth the bother” as two hours at the very end of the day would do little to bring in extra shoppers.
Following the complaints and fresh negotiations, there will now be free parking all day.
Andrew Nunn, Suffolk Coastal cabinet member, said: “At Christmas, we feel it is important for Suffolk Coastal to play its part in encouraging people to shop locally and attend the festive events by providing free car parking.
“The free car parking is made available through the simple process of us liaising with our colleagues in the key town and parish councils to find out what events they have organised which could be supported in this way.
“In the case of Felixstowe, the original request from the town council was for two hours’ free car parking between 4pm and 6pm on Saturday to support the switching on of the Christmas lights.
“This request was granted and provision made for the free parking.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 3 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 4 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 5 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 8 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
“Now, following further consultation with the town council, it has been decided to extend this by providing free all-day parking from 8am to 6pm in the Crescent Road, Highfield Road and Ranelagh Road car parks on Saturday to ensure maximum support for the Christmas fair which is going on throughout the day.”