Felixstowe: Fun-packed weekend for shoppers starts today
TOWN centre traders are today starting a special weekend of offers and attractions to get shoppers back to the town centre.
Shop-owners in Hamilton Road have had a tough year with work for the shared space scheme tearing up the street for nine months.
But they are determined to get loyal customers back for the spring and summer, and have organised a weekend of events to celebrate.
Event organiser Carol Jones, owner of Glyph gift shop, said: “We’re trying to encourage people back to Felixstowe, so they can look at the new road and the layout. Hopefully they will realise that our parking is quite cheap – better than Ipswich anyway – and the car parks aren’t that far away once you try them.
“We’re hoping the sun shines and people will go down to the beach or enjoy a wander round the town and go home saying that was a lovely day.”
You may also want to watch:
There will be free food and wine tastings from Marks and Spencer, flavoured coffees handed out by Caffe Nero and Costa, a raffle for a �1,000 shower from Opal Bathrooms, a chance to ice Mothers’ Day gifts at Thornton’s and chocolate tastings courtesy of The Sweet Hut.
Children can also enjoy face painting, a chance to sit in a fire engine and police car and a visit from Clintons character Boofle.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 5 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 6 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 10 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
Felixstowe mayor Jon Garfield said: “I think it’s a wonderful idea. I hope it will get people back to using the shopping centre. It’s the start of the season now so hopefully we can get a few people back.”