Felixstowe gets �5 million boost
FUNDING of �5 million-plus has already been secured towards a massive regeneration of Felixstowe's seafront and town centre, it was revealed today.The shortlist of initial projects will cost more than twice what has so far been raised - but the early success has given a huge confidence boost to officials and community leaders working on the masterplan.
FUNDING of �5 million-plus has already been secured towards a massive regeneration of Felixstowe's seafront and town centre, it was revealed today.
The shortlist of initial projects will cost more than twice what has so far been raised - but the early success has given a huge confidence boost to officials and community leaders working on the masterplan.
Now a special project team is set to be set up to work at the resort to progress the work even more effectively.
Cabinet member Colin Hart said Felixstowe had a “unique opportunity” at the moment and the council and its partners were doing all they could to ensure it did not miss out.
“While significant progress has been made in terms of project development and attraction of external funding there remain significant other opportunities to further accelerate and develop the regeneration of Felixstowe and Trimleys Peninsula,” he said.
“In terms of external funding, monies in excess of �1 million have already been secured.
- 1 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 2 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 3 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 4 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 6 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 7 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 8 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
“There is however in the region of �4 million available for regeneration in the Felixstowe Peninsula as a result of Felixstowe gaining Growth Point Status.
“In order to maximise this potential it is important that the regeneration programme is closely linked to the planning system.”
As well as the schemes identified in the initial short-list, there are also a number of other projects currently taking place which will also help to regenerate the town.
These include a leisure needs analysis and a green study, plans for more sea defences, consideration of the future redevelopment of key council-owned sites, a new super-school, new skatepark and play areas, and the possibility of up to 2,000 new homes.
Do you like the ideas to regenerate Felixstowe? What does the resort need? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com
FASTFACTS: Felixstowe regeneration projects
Demolishing toilets on The Triangle and building a caf� with open-air seating;
Development of a new coastal path with public artwork;
Pedestrianisation of Hamilton Road;
Seafront Winter Gardens with escalator to the clifftop;
Two young people's “hang out” areas;
Beach shelters to be turned into cafes;
Refurbishment of the Spa Gardens;
Improvements to Bent Hill, Undercliff Road West and Convalescent Hill.