Felixstowe: Go-ahead given for 190 new homes in Walton Green
- Credit: Archant
TOWN councillors have given the green light to a project to build 190 new homes next door to the new £19.5million Felixstowe Academy campus.
The two developments – the academy is currently under construction – will share the same access off Walton High Road.
Felixstowe Town Council recommended approval for the 190 homes on the 16-acre field, but called for a mini-roundabout or traffic lights at the junction.
If the Tesco superstore and 200 more homes on the Walton Green site on the opposite side of the street get the go-ahead, a roundabout will be built.
Planning consultant Stephen Burgess said the land, owned by Trinity College, Cambridge, had been identified as a potential site for housing.
You may also want to watch:
Of the 190 homes, one-third would be social housing for rent.
Former town mayor Doreen Savage said: “I don’t think there is any particular problem with this application – we have to find additional housing in Felixstowe – except for the access. It would not be so bad if the academy did not feed into the same access-way.”
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Former cop who suffered from PTSD prepares to take on 24-hour marathon
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 6 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 7 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 8 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 9 England fans disappointed at goalless draw against Scotland
- 10 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
Councillor Mike Stokell said: “I have grave concerns about traffic movements in this area.”
Mayor Mike Deacon accepted there was a need for more homes, especially affordable housing. However, he was not convinced all brownfield sites had been exhausted and felt prime agricultural land should not be used until they were.
Give us your views on the proposed development. Write to Your Letters, Felixstowe Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN