Felixstowe/Ipswich: New puppy is a real Diamond
IT’S a girl!
And she’ll be called Diamond.
Yes, the Ipswich Star’s next guide dog puppy – the fifth whose breeding and initial training has been paid for thanks to generous donations and fundraising from readers – is set to arrive next month.
Diamond is from Guide Dogs brood bitch Star’s third litter, an amazing ten new puppies, bringing to 25 the total to which our first guide dog puppy has now given birth.
“She’s the smallest of the litter but whether she will stay a small dog remains to be seen because they grow very fast,” said Penny Parker, puppy walker for the appeal dogs.
“She looks really lovely, very sweet, and I am very excited and looking forward to having her here – we expect it to be before Christmas, though at the moment we are still waiting for a date.”
Mum Star was unwell after the birth and had to be taken into the charity’s care centre to be looked after, but she is now fully recovered and back at home.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 3 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 4 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 5 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 6 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 7 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 10 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
Diamond’s arrival will mean Robson will have completed his first year’s training and will be leaving to start the next stage of his work to become a fully-fledged guide dog, a companion for a blind or visually-impaired person, giving them greater freedom to be independent and live life to the full.
In his year at Felixstowe he has learned his basic commands and been exposed to a wide range of experiences, including crowds, shops, traffic, theatres, schools, public transport and other situations he might face.
? To donate to the Ipswich Star Guide Dog Appeal, send your cheques – made payable to Guide Dogs – to Richard Cornwell, Felixstowe editor, Felixstowe Star, 172 Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 7DU.