Felixstowe: Local model maker to create scale model of pier
MODEL maker Russell Clarke is getting ready for a fresh challenge – to make a scale replica of the proposed new Felixstowe pier.
Mr Clarke, 83, made a model of the previous plans to revamp the pier a decade ago, when the idea was to create a �15million Sea Dome with the world’s largest revolving restaurant.
The new plans – for which pier owner Stan Threadwell has secured private funding – feature amusements and leisure activities, a function suite for 325 people, bars and restaurants, and a high-tech shipping observation tower.
“I think the plans look really good and it would be a great challenge to make a model to give the public a really good idea of how the finished building will appear,” said Mr Clarke, of Boyton Road, Ipswich.
He was a model-maker for 49 years, making a range of models of buildings, vehicles and other items.
He gave up the work and sold almost all of his models to a collector in order to look after his wife Gwen when she became ill. She died in November last year at the age of 79.
“Since my wife died I have been looking for ways to occupy my time and I’ve got itchy fingers now and would love to make another really good model,” he said.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 3 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
He expects the model to be around 18 inches wide, 27 inches long and nine inches high.
Suffolk Coastal councillors will make the final decision this autumn.