Felixstowe man to appear at crown court accused of assaulting a police officer
A 36-year-old man has been charged with assaulting an officer, dangerous driving and failing to stop for police.
A vehicle was spotted by police in the Felixstowe area around 5.50pm on Monday, and it was followed by officers.
The vehicle then stopped in Levington and caught fire.
A man was pulled from the vehicle by officers but a constable was assaulted, sustaining a wound to his head that required hospital treatment.
Robert Sutherland, of Foxgrove Gardens in Felixstowe, has been charged with assaulting a police officer, driving a Ford Mondeo dangerously on the old A45 at Levington, and failing to stop for police.
You may also want to watch:
He was detained pending a court appearance via video camera before Ipswich Magistrates this morning, and has now been remanded in custody until an Ipswich Crown Court hearing scheduled for March 16.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 5 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 10 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store