Felixstowe: MP calls for business help in Spa bid
THROW your support behind the Spa - that is the message from Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey as she calls on businesses to help the ailing theatre.
Suffolk Coastal District Council announced on Monday that the only bid for the venue – from the Spa Pavilion Associates – was being recommended for rejection as it was “fundamentally flawed” and “too risky”.
The group has remained defiant despite the setback and Dr Coffey is hopeful that more clout from Felixstowe-based businesses could hold the key to a successful bid.
She said: “I hope that they (the council) will be open to future suggestions and a fresh call for proposals on how to save the Spa.
“What I hope to do is to call on the businesses of Felixstowe to come forward and see if we can put together a proposal that keeps this important community, cultural and commercial asset open for the benefit of Felixstowe and the district.”
Lisa Hardy, a spokeswoman for the Spa Pavilion Associates, said the community group is still actively seeking people and organisations to help their cause.
She added: “It’s great that Dr Coffey is giving her backing to the Spa - that’s fantastic and is something I hope Suffolk Coastal will listen to.”
- 1 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 2 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 3 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 4 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 7 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 8 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 9 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 10 'Last opportunity' - revised application for three homes in Ipswich
The Spa currently employs 42 people, which includes five full-time staff, and has been under threat since the council decided to withdraw its �240,000 a year subsidy for the venue last year.
A panel of councillors and senior officers reviewed the bid but it is understood there were major concerns with finances.
Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member for leisure and economic development, said: “The conclusion of our officers who have thoroughly reviewed the bid is that it is fundamentally flawed in many ways and would be far too financially risky for this council to give its backing to.”
Do you think more should have been done to save the Spa?