Felixstowe: New �1m Grove Medical Centre gets cash approval
WORK is expected to begin this autumn on a new �1million medical centre for Felixstowe – following formal approval for the finance.
The board of NHS Suffolk has agreed to support the project, which received planning consent in the spring and will be built next to The Grove and Abbey Grove woodlands, off Grove Road.
It will replace the 16,000-patient Central Surgery, Hamilton Road, which has been described as Suffolk’s “poorest quality surgery premises” – cramped, cold, decaying and leaking.
Dr Stephen Feltwell, a GP at Central Surgery said: “This decision marks a major milestone in improving healthcare services for local people as well as the many visitors to the area.
“The new centre will complement the services already provided by Felixstowe Community Hospital and offer a range of clinics that were previously only accessible by travelling to Ipswich.
“Reaching this decision has undeniably been a lengthy process; however, NHS Suffolk has been supportive throughout and has long recognised the need for a new medical centre to be built.”
Mark Marshall, NHS Suffolk’s head of corporate development and infrastructure said: “We are delighted to be able to support this project which will make a real difference to people’s lives.
- 1 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 5 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 9 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 10 Ukrainian family finally coming to Ipswich after eight-week visa struggle
“Felixstowe represents an important and thriving part of Suffolk and this new facility will deliver healthcare services that are fit for the 21st century.”
Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey added: “I was involved early on in getting NHS Suffolk to consider this seriously, given the cramped nature of the existing Central Surgery.
“This decision is great news for local residents in Felixstowe and will improve the NHS services in the town, complementing the excellent community hospital.”