Felixstowe: New �1m Grove Medical Centre gets cash approval
WORK is expected to begin this autumn on a new �1million medical centre for Felixstowe – following formal approval for the finance.
The board of NHS Suffolk has agreed to support the project, which received planning consent in the spring and will be built next to The Grove and Abbey Grove woodlands, off Grove Road.
It will replace the 16,000-patient Central Surgery, Hamilton Road, which has been described as Suffolk’s “poorest quality surgery premises” – cramped, cold, decaying and leaking.
Dr Stephen Feltwell, a GP at Central Surgery said: “This decision marks a major milestone in improving healthcare services for local people as well as the many visitors to the area.
“The new centre will complement the services already provided by Felixstowe Community Hospital and offer a range of clinics that were previously only accessible by travelling to Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
“Reaching this decision has undeniably been a lengthy process; however, NHS Suffolk has been supportive throughout and has long recognised the need for a new medical centre to be built.”
Mark Marshall, NHS Suffolk’s head of corporate development and infrastructure said: “We are delighted to be able to support this project which will make a real difference to people’s lives.
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
“Felixstowe represents an important and thriving part of Suffolk and this new facility will deliver healthcare services that are fit for the 21st century.”
Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey added: “I was involved early on in getting NHS Suffolk to consider this seriously, given the cramped nature of the existing Central Surgery.
“This decision is great news for local residents in Felixstowe and will improve the NHS services in the town, complementing the excellent community hospital.”