Felixstowe: Olympic shooter visits resort to get in training
OLYMPIANS from across the globe have been flocking to the country to get some last minute practice before the Games begin.
And members of the town’s rifle club have been helping one Olympic shooting hopeful to get in tip-top condition ahead of the event.
Sakina Mamedova, the only member of the Uzbekistan shooting team, arrived in Felixstowe last Saturday and since that time she has been practicing six days a week and six hours a day.
The 27-year-old said: “It’s very good here and it’s good to train all the days that I have been. There are good facilities.”
The Felixstowe Rifle Club, based in Walton High Street, has seen international class shooters train before, but Mamedova is the first Olympian to train there.
As well as her extensive training regime, she has also taken part in a number of social events with members of the club.
On Wednesday she also took up an invitation to meet with Felixstowe’s mayor, Mike Deacon, at the town hall.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 7 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
Bill Bond, the vice-chairman of the club, will be an official at the shooting event and he has been delighted that Mamedova chose to train in the resort.
He said: “We have had international shooters in the club but this is the first Olympic shooter we have had. It’s good to see her here.”
Mamedova, along with her coach Igor Potopov, will be heading to London tomorrow morning and Mr Bond revealed the members of the club will be holding a farewell party for them.
? Are you looking forward to the Olympics? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to star email@example.com