Felixstowe: Overwhelming support for Star’s campaign to save the Spa Pavilion
FELIXSTOWE: It has been in circulation for less than a week, but The Evening Star’s petition to save the Spa Pavilion has already received more than 300 signatures.
Petitions have been circulated around Felixstowe and more than 200 people have already added their signatures to them. An online petition has also received over 100 signatures.
Suzie Lowe, director of the Dennis Lowe Theatre Company, has been out on the streets with her team encouraging residents to sign up to the campaign and she has also told people who turn up to see the company’s panto at the Spa about it.
“The support has been quite amazing,” she said.
“Everybody at the shows have booed when I have told them about it because it could close. The support behind the campaign is unbelievable.”
The future of the Spa is hanging in the balance after Suffolk Coastal District Council announced it would be withdrawing funding in June.
The Dennis Lowe Theatre Company has been putting on pantomimes at the Spa for the last 46 years and Miss Lowe believes her dad, Dennis, who founded the company, would be devastated at the current events.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 7 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
She said: “He would be absolutely devastated at the possibility that it could close.
“The theatre was his life, it was almost like his second home. He would be behind everything we are doing.”
Miss Lowe and her team are continuing to gain signatures for the campaign and they will be outside the Spa Pavilion on Boxing Day, between 11am and 1pm, to get more signatures.
If you would like to sign our petition to save the Spa there are forms at the Evening Star’s Felixstowe office at 172 Hamilton Road or at the Spa Pavilion.
Alternatively there is also an online petition available at www.savethespa.com.
Why do you think the Spa Pavilion is important for the resort? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can send an e-mail to us at eveningstarletters@evening star.co.uk