Felixstowe: Parkour team Escape Reality hope to transform Lixs Nightclub into youth centre
FELIXSTOWE: With weeds growing and metal boards in the windows, it may look as if there is little hope for a derelict building on the seafront.
But a resort free running group are today hoping to turn the former Lixs Nightclub’s fortunes around as it launches an ambitious drive to transform it into a youth centre.
Escape Reality, a parkour stunt team based in the resort, believe there are not enough facilities for young people in Felixstowe and turning the building, in Sea Road, into a youth centre would fill the gap.
Dan McGlynn, 19, a member of the group, said: “You have got a lot of kids on the street and it would be nice for them to have somewhere to go to, even if they just want to chill out for a bit.
“It would be nice to have a centre that everybody could go to.”
It is believed the group will need about �800,000 to buy and renovate the building and get it fit for use. It is planning to raise the funds through charity events and grants.
A petition has also been set up which they hope will prove how popular a centre will be.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 6 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 7 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 10 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
While the finer details of what could go in the centre have not yet been revealed, a cinema room and parkour area are top of the group’s agenda. Mr McGlynn added: “If you want to attract more people to Felixstowe you need more things younger generations, which there isn’t enough of.”
To sign the petition, visit www.escaperealityuk.co.uk.
Do you think there are enough facilities for young people in Felixstowe? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, IP4 1AN.