Felixstowe: Parkour team Escape Reality hope to transform Lixs Nightclub into youth centre
FELIXSTOWE: With weeds growing and metal boards in the windows, it may look as if there is little hope for a derelict building on the seafront.
But a resort free running group are today hoping to turn the former Lixs Nightclub’s fortunes around as it launches an ambitious drive to transform it into a youth centre.
Escape Reality, a parkour stunt team based in the resort, believe there are not enough facilities for young people in Felixstowe and turning the building, in Sea Road, into a youth centre would fill the gap.
Dan McGlynn, 19, a member of the group, said: “You have got a lot of kids on the street and it would be nice for them to have somewhere to go to, even if they just want to chill out for a bit.
“It would be nice to have a centre that everybody could go to.”
You may also want to watch:
It is believed the group will need about �800,000 to buy and renovate the building and get it fit for use. It is planning to raise the funds through charity events and grants.
A petition has also been set up which they hope will prove how popular a centre will be.
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
While the finer details of what could go in the centre have not yet been revealed, a cinema room and parkour area are top of the group’s agenda. Mr McGlynn added: “If you want to attract more people to Felixstowe you need more things younger generations, which there isn’t enough of.”
To sign the petition, visit www.escaperealityuk.co.uk.
Do you think there are enough facilities for young people in Felixstowe? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, IP4 1AN.