Felixstowe: Pier jumper called police himself to warn of sea plunge
A man who jumped off Felixstowe Pier called police himself to warn them he was about to take the plunge, it emerged today.
Police attended the pier at 1pm yesterday following a phone call from the man.
Officers then alerted coastguards who were on hand in the area to help rescue him after he jumped in.
Once in the water, the man attempted to swim back to the shore but was intercepted by Harwich life boat crew. They took him to the beach and he was detained by police.
A police spokeswoman said: “He called up himself saying he was going to jump. He jumped into the water and was swimming towards the beach where he was detained by officers.
“There was concern for his mental health so he was assessed and he was not mentally ill. This was not a criminal offence from our point of view.”
An eyewitness, who did not wish to be named, described seeing the man hanging off the pier moments before he plunged into the sea.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 5 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 9 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 10 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
A woman said she saw the man at the end of the pier.
“He was hanging over the railings, which looked a bit odd to me,” she said.
“I didn’t see him jump in but later the lifeboat was there and picked him out of the water.”
Following the incident the man was taken to Ipswich Hospital to be treated for cold and shock and also to be assessed.
n Do you know who the man is? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.