Felixstowe: Power cut is a big blow for town centre traders
TOWN centre traders are counting the cost of lost business today after a power cut forced several shops in Felixstowe’s Hamilton Road to close for the day.
The cut happened at about 7.45am yesterday, leaving five shops in the shared space scheme without power. Three more UK Power Networks customers in the road faced a power cut at 10am.
The businesses affected by the incident included The Sandwich Shop, Russell Smith, Bonmarche, Caffe Nero and New Look.
David Harries, the owner of Russell Smith, said “It’s extremely costly for us not to be able to trade.
“We are losing a lot of trade and a lot of our customers travel a long way to be here – they can’t just pop back.
“The loss of a day’s trade will be significant.”
Bill Hewlett, the owner of the Sandwich Shop, was forced to turn away customers looking for their lunchtime snacks and drinks.
- 1 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 2 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 3 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 4 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 5 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 6 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 7 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 8 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 9 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 10 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
He added: “When you’re running a catering business, you can’t do anything. We have got to make sure the food is safe and we can’t prepare anything.
“For a small business like ours, to lose a day’s trade is a big blow. It’s sad to disappoint our customers.
“I’m going to have to investigate what this will cost me and see what I can cover under my insurance.”
Some traders have already said they will be looking in to whether they will be eligible for any compensation for the loss of trade after claims they have been hit with similar problems in recent weeks.
Yesterday a spokesman for UK Power Networks said engineers were working throughout the day to restore power.
He added: “UK Power Networks engineers are working as quickly as safely possible to restore power supplies to eight customers in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, following a fault on a low voltage underground cable.
“We appreciate how difficult it is to be without electricity and apologise to all those affected.”
? How have power cuts affected you? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to starletters@ archant.co.uk