Felixstowe: Resort would be poorer without the Spa Pavilion, say TV presenters Chris and Pui
TV presenters Chris and Pui have given their backing to our campaign to save the Spa Pavilion – claiming the town would be poorer without it.
Chris Jarvis and Pui Fan Lee became the first presenters of the digital channel CBeebies when it launched ten years ago. They performed at the theatre earlier this month.
They spoke of their fondness for the venue and warned that, if it does close its doors, it may never reopen. Chris, 42, said: “It’s superb and it makes the town a destination. It’s something else the town has to offer.
“I think it would be a terrible shame (if the Spa closed) because, even if it was struggling now, it’s something we will never get back.
“It’s a fabulous theatre and it’s still a landmark in the town. It’s one of those things that the town will be poorer without.”
Suffolk Coastal District Council announced last year that it would be pulling the �240,000 it gives to operator, Openwide Coastal, to run the theatre.
An open day was held at the theatre on Monday and three organisations interested in taking it over were given the opportunity to look around and assess its potential.
- 1 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 2 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 3 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 4 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 7 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 First look at 172-bed student accommodation plan
- 10 Police stop two vans overloaded by more than a ton each in Ipswich
The names of the organisations have not been released by councillors but the open day gave them a chance to discuss their ideas with council officers and councillors.
? Why do you want to save the Spa Pavilion? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org