Felixstowe set to be rocked by explosion
BE prepared - you may feel the earth move today!Three weeks after Felixstowe was mistakenly reported to have suffered an earthquake off its coast, the resort was bracing itself for another big bang.
BE prepared - you may feel the earth move today!
Three weeks after Felixstowe was mistakenly reported to have suffered an earthquake off its coast, the resort was bracing itself for another big bang.
Last time the explosion - which measured 2.5 on the Richter scale - was due to a war-time bomb being exploded out to sea, after it was discovered as part of the work on the new Gabbard Wind Farm, which can be seen from the resort's seafront.
Now another World War Two German mine has been found at the wind farm site and is due to be blown up sometime this morning.
The vessel OSV Relume sailed from Harwich last night with a team of disposal experts, and is now five miles south-east of Felixstowe getting ready to deal with the unexploded device.
- 1 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 2 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 3 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 4 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 10 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
Experts said it may be possible to feel the explosion onshore but it will only be the slightest tremor and will not cause any structural damage.