Felixstowe: Skaters help clear up mess made by vandals
FELIXSTOWE: A skating event will be the “perfect opportunity” to raise awareness about the vandals that have been wreaking havoc across the town, it was claimed today.
Skate Jam will be taking place this Saturday at Felixstowe Skate Park, which has been hit by a spate of vandalism in recent weeks.
Doreen Savage, Mayor of Felixstowe, believes the event will be the perfect chance to highlight the hard work of skaters who have banded together in an attempt to raise funds to help with repair work.
She said: “Following the recent vandalism at the park this will also be an opportunity to raise awareness about thoughtless vandalism and the impact it has on those that use the skate park on a regular basis.
“It will also highlight the hard work of some of the skate park users who have been raising money to help with the cost of repairs for the park.”
You may also want to watch:
Jack Bracken-Lobb, 21, who regularly uses the skate park, was pleased to hear that the work the skaters are doing was being noticed and hopes people from the area will turn out to watch the competition.
He said: “It’s brilliant that people are taking notice of what we are doing. Hopefully people that live around here will see that we are really enjoying the skate park and that people of all different ages are using it.”
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 8 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
The Skate Jam is due to take place at the Felixstowe Skate park on Saturday between 11am and 4pm and there will also be music on the day.
The event is free to attend and all there will be competitions throughout the day. Young people can sign up on the day and all competitors under 16 will be required to wear a helmet.
n Are you looking forward to the Skate Jam? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org