Felixstowe: Spike in resort youth hockey thanks to summer of sport
- Credit: Archant
THE summer of 2012 was one of the greatest times for sport in Britain in decades.
The wave of people wanting to get out and active in the wake of the London Olympics hit different sports and clubs up and down the country.
And in Felixstowe, there has been a spike in the number of young people picking up their hockey sticks and stepping out on to the astroturf with the Felixstowe Hockey Club.
Matthew Walker, head of youth hockey with the club, said: “Junior hockey in Felixstowe has been going on for about 20-30 years but we had a real push in the last 18 months, particularly around the Olympics.
“The kids always come off smiling and enjoying themselves and they have taken part in a sport they might not have even thought about doing.
“They love playing it and it is a joy to watch.”
The ages of the youngsters who play in the section range from four to 15 and they take part in training and some competitive games.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 4 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 5 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 7 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 8 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 9 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 10 Regent expansion project takes step forward as plans urged for approval
About 60 people now regularly attend the sessions every Saturday.
People of all abilities are able to join the club and Mr Walker believes now is the perfect time to take on a sport.
He said: “It [hockey] is a fast-moving, fun game, and not as hard to play as it was 15-20 years ago.
“I think it is really important to just give sport a go.”
For more information about the club’s youth section, send an e-mail to email@example.com or, alternatively, people wanting to take part can turn up on the day.
? The youth meet every Saturday at Felixstowe Academy Maidstone campus’s all weather pitches, subject to weather conditions.