Felixstowe: Students set to learn from Korean masters
- Credit: Archant
TWO members of a martial arts club are today preparing to jet off to South Korea, to train with masters.
Jo Mills and Paul Thorn, of the Kuk Sool Won club, both won four medals at a tournament in Stowmarket last month and were named grand champions in their respective grades.
Jo, 18, of Ipswich, has been training at the club since she was eight and in that time she has won more than 100 medals and eight titles.
She said: “I’m so scared that I’m going to Korea, it’s completely different to over here, but it is amazing to have the chance to go.
“There are going to be people from all over the world – it’s going to be amazing.”
Paul, 20, added: “It is a once in a lifetime thing so it is going to be really good to go.
“Hopefully it will give me a lot more insight into how the martial art works and I can come back with some new skills as well.”
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 6 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 7 'They saved our boy's life' - Fundraiser for hospital that helped little Rocco
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 10 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
The trip will take place in October and they are two of just 80 students from the UK taking part.
The event will include an international tournament, training, a trip along the coast and a tour of a palace.
Kuk Sool Won is a martial art which covers a variety of disciplines including hand striking, kicking techniques, falling principles and throwing and grappling.
Lead instructor at the club, Rachel Whiting, said: “It’s fantastic and it will be a great experience for them.”