Felixstowe: Successful heritage event will not be held every year
ORGANISERS of Felixstowe’s highly-successful Heritage Open Days weekend say the event is likely to be biannual rather than yearly.
Hundreds of people took the opportunity to visit historic houses, churches, civic buildings and fortresses, and go on guided heritage walks and talks, as the resort took part in the national event for the first time.
Phil Hadwen, vice-chairman of conservation group The Felixstowe Society, said holding the every every two years would ensure there was enough interest and allow the event to expand gradually.
“There is a huge amount of planning involved and it took a great amount of time and hard work. I think we will be looking to hold it every other year,” he said.
“It was a super weekend and the Felixstowe Society would like to thank all the people who attended the events, which were well received, and also all the helpers, the volunteers, who were excellent.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hadwen said about 200 people had visited Martello Tower P on the south seafront, and around the same number the 1920s Colonial-style home The Courts in Brook Lane. Many others had enjoyed the churches, Felixstowe Town Hall, Trimley Station, backstage tours of the Spa Pavilion, and FADOS House. Walks had attracted 25 to 35 people and the history talks were also well attended.
There were 30 activities in all over the weekend, organised by the society with help from Suffolk Coastal’s conservation team.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe