Helicopter joins search for ‘two swimmers in difficulty’ off Felixstowe beach
- Credit: CHARLOTTE BOND
The coastguard is leading an operation to save two swimmers believed to be in trouble in the waters off Felixstowe Pier.
There are currently three incident response units, two Coastguard teams, two ambulances and four police response cars at the scene.
An Essex and Herts air ambulance has landed in Langer Park and is waiting on standby.
A crowd of people are waiting anxiously on the prom and Pier Bight outside Felixstowe Pier for news.
One man said: “It’s just horrible to think what has possibly happened. There seems to be something awful along the coast every summer.
You may also want to watch:
“We swim here but we never go out far - the current can be quite strong just a little way offshore.”
A man on a day trip from Ipswich with his wife and two children said: “I just hope there is some good news soon. We have been standing here hoping and praying.”
- 1 Police cordon off section of Ipswich residential street
- 2 Teenagers arrested after 17-year-old boy stabbed in Ipswich
- 3 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 4 How pub was transformed into community hub
- 5 Police attend Ipswich Waterfront property as part of murder probe
- 6 School completes £15.5million revamp with demolition of former building
- 7 CCTV images issued following theft from car in Ipswich
- 8 Teenage boy denies knife attack near Ipswich supermarket
- 9 'I couldn't stop smiling': Kesgrave Kitchen named best Ipswich café
- 10 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
A spokesperson for HM Coastguard said: “At just before 11.30am today, HM Coastguard received a report of two swimmers potentially in difficulty off of Felixstowe Pier.
“Dover Coastguard sent Felixstowe Coastguard Rescue Team and Harwich ALB and ILB lifeboats and Walton ALB to the scene.
“East of England Ambulance Service are in attendance, as well as a medical helicopter. Searches are currently ongoing.”
Suffolk police were called at 12.40pm today to support the coastal services after a number of swimmers were reported having difficulty off Felixstowe Pier.
Harwich RNLI received the call at 11.30am and dispatched two lifeboats to the scene where they are helping in the waters off Felixstowe beach.
A spokesperson said: “We don’t have any more details at this time but can only hope the rescue operation will be successful and the swimmers are found safe.”
An Essex and Herts air ambulance has also been called to the scene and pictures show several land ambulances in attendance too.