Ferryman rescues stricken Calypso yacht off sandbank at Felixstowe
- Credit: citizenside.com
A ferryman helped to rescue eight people stranded on board a yacht which ran aground off the Felixstowe coastline yesterday.
The yacht, Calypso, got caught on an offshore sandbank in the late afternoon.
John Barber, who runs the Bawdsey to Felixstowe Ferry boat service, went to the ship’s aid.
The crews managed to set up a tow line and pull the stranded yacht free within an hour, before being towed to a mooring.
No-one was injured in the rescue operation.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Barber said: “It is quite a regular occurrence here.
“I’m always happy to help a fellow sailor who gets stuck, I end up doing it all of the time.”
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 3 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront