Final day of much-loved hospital
A MUCH-loved hospital was today closing its doors for the last time as a new era of health care began in Felixstowe.After a two-year campaign to save it failed, the Bartlet was saying goodbye to its final patients.
A MUCH-loved hospital was today closing its doors for the last time as a new era of health care began in Felixstowe.
After a two-year campaign to save it failed, the Bartlet was saying goodbye to its final patients.
The last 16 patients were being moved to the new Felixstowe Community Hospital, which has just had a £1.76 million refurbishment.
It was a sad day for the staff as the wards were emptied after 82 years of service to the community.
You may also want to watch:
The building - which overlooks the sea from Bath Hill - now faces an uncertain future.
It is likely to be converted into luxury flats but at the moment no plans have been put forward and the Primary Care Trust has still not sold it.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Services have been moved out of the Bartlet back to the old General in Constable Road throughout the week.
On Monday the day and treatment team opened for business at the new site, followed by physiotherapists' outpatients' department yesterday.
Today it was the turn of the inpatients department.
There will be an official opening of the new Felixstowe Community Hospital on February 1.
What do you think should happen now to the Bartlet? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk