Financial squeeze hits Babergh
SERVICES across Babergh are facing a financial squeeze today.Babergh District Council has voted for an inflation-only increase in council tax but has warned its reduced income will mean it faces tough decisions in the future.
SERVICES across Babergh are facing a financial squeeze today.
Babergh District Council has voted for an inflation-only increase in council tax but has warned its reduced income will mean it faces tough decisions in the future.
Councillor Nick Ridley, chairman of the council's strategy committee, said he was deeply concerned about the hard choices facing Babergh.
He said: “The grant increase we are likely to get from the government for the next three years is around 2per cent per year.
You may also want to watch:
“That, allied with the need to make even further efficiency savings and increased costs associated with government schemes, such as the Concessionary Fares scheme, will make Babergh's impressive track record ever harder to maintain in the future.
“Some particularly hard decisions may need to be made in the future.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 8 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 9 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 10 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
However he said he was pleased that from April the Babergh-part of residents' council tax bills would rise by just 3.9pc to £131.16 per year for a Band D property.
Are you pleased about the council tax decision? Would you prefer to pay more for more services? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.