Find out the collections points for Ipswich Scouts’ Christmas Post on our map
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich scouts are set to return to the streets this Christmas to deliver post in the local area.
It’s the 30th year that members of local scout groups have taken part in the scheme which sends Christmas cards around the local area in order to raise money.
Each card will cost 25p to send with special post boxes being put in place across the town.
The scouts catchment area will be within th IP1 - IP5 postcodes of Ipswich as well as Kesgrave, Rushmere, Martlesham Heath, Grundisburgh,
Great and Little Bealings, Playford, Pinewood, Claydon, Bramford, Gt Blakenham and Barham, Henley, Westerfield, Witnesham and Tuddenham.
This year, Felixstowe and some of the surrounding area have officially become part of the long-running scheme with Walton, Trimley St Mary, Trimley St Martin, Kirton, Falkenham and Felixstowe itself all being added to the route.
Scouts from the 4th Ipswich, 2nd Ipswich, 18th Ipswich, 31st/9th Ipswich, 1st Ipswich,1st Claydon, 1st Martlesham, 1st Kesgrave, 1st Grundisburgh, 1st Westerfield, and 7th Felixstowe will all be taking part in the event.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 5 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
A huge number of shops will be serving as collection points for people’s cards. With everywhere from butchers to beauticians and newsagents to vets all getting involved.
A full list of shops involved is available on our website.
Cards need to be in the special boxes by Tuesday, December 12, with deliveries taking place between December 13 and 24.
David Blades, chairman of the 2nd Ipswich Scouts, one of the groups involved in sending the post, said: “This service has been provided for 30 years and is now run by 11 scout groups to which it is a major annual fundraising event, requiring hours of work by the leaders and parents of the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers within each group.
“Plus, of course, a band of dedicated helpers.
“Each year we collect and deliver approximately 100,000 cards and from last year we incorporated Felixstowe for both collections and deliveries.
“We feel this is hugely worthwhile to the fund raising efforts of the participating Scout Groups, whilst offering a fantastic value for money service to the general public in the participating areas.”