Fire after man smokes and pours petrol
A ST NEOTS man is lucky to be alive, after smoking a cigarette while pouring petrol into a jerry can. The young man was standing in an outbuilding, joined to his home in Nasby Gardens, St Neots at about 5pm yesterday , when the petrol fumes caught light and caused an explosion.
A ST NEOTS man is lucky to be alive, after smoking a cigarette while pouring petrol into a jerry can.
The young man was standing in an outbuilding, joined to his home in Nasby Gardens, St Neots at about 5pm yesterday , when the petrol fumes caught light and caused an explosion.
Despite being engulfed by a fireball, he miraculously escaped unharmed and managed to attract the attention of his mother who dialled 999.
Two crews from St Neots attended the scene to find one outbuilding, measuring about 3m by 2m well alight. The fire had spread to the wall of the main house, which contained the mains gas and electric supply.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters isolated the gas and electric and got to work tackling the blaze with four breathing apparatus and two hose reels.
The outhouse was totally destroyed by the fire, as was a motorbike and garden furniture stored inside. The house received smoke damage throughout, and fire damage to the adjoining wall, as well as the main electricity and gas feed.
- 1 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
The crew returned to base at around 6.30pm.
Vernon Payne, watch manager at St Neots, said: “To smoke while handling petrol is extremely dangerous, especially in such a confined area.
“It is nothing short of miraculous that this man managed to escape without sustaining any injuries.
“He received no burns whatsoever after being totally engulfed by flames. He is a very lucky man indeed.
“This incident should serve as a warning to others about the dangers of handling a cigarette or any other naked flame around petrol.”