Fire at Bryant’s department store
ST IVES: Furnishings and materials were destroyed when a fire took hold at Bryant’s Department Store.
Fire crews from St Ives and Huntingdon found smoke pouring from the building in Broadway and the alarm sounding when they arrived at 7.40pm on Friday.
The ground floor of the department store was engulfed in the blaze.
Chris Parker, incident commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The fire was well developed and had taken hold of a lot of stock on the ground floor which was mostly furnishings and materials.
“Although the fire didn’t spread to the first floor, the smoke caused a considerable amount of damage to the building and stock.”
An investigation is now underway into the cause of the fire, which is being treated as suspicious.
Anyone with information about the blaze is asked to call Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service on 0345 456 4564.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 7 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Ipswich man found with indecent images of children is facing jail
- 10 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich