Fire at Marriott hotel
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at the Courtyard Marriott hotel in Ipswich today.One fire crew from Colchester Road was called to the hotel at The Havens, Ransomes Europark about 10.50am.
A HOTEL in Ipswich had to be evacuated today after fire broke out in a waste compacter.
The blaze broke out at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel at The Havens, Ransomes Europark about 10.50am today and forced dozens of staff and guests to evacuate the building.
Richard Wood, sub-officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire is thought to have started when a cigarette bin was emptied into the waste compactor.
He said: “One of the causes we are investigating is the disposal of smoking materials into the compactor.
“Someone emptied a cigarette bin in there.
“The message here is for those disposing of cigarette ends to make sure they are fully extinguished.”
- 1 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 2 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 4 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 7 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
- 8 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 9 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 10 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
One fire crew from Colchester Road was called to the hotel to reports of a large bin on fire outside the building.
Sub-officer Wood added: “We did see smoke en route and it turned out it was a waste compactor right outside the kitchen door.
“It was a larger incident than we anticipated.
“The fire was quite well established and it spread to a fence and the guttering and facia of the building.
“The compactor was destroyed and the fence and guttering were damaged.”
The blaze was under control by 11.20am but firefighters had to check the roof of the building to ensure the fire had not spread.
The evacuated guests included several people attending a wedding at the hotel this afternoon.
Everyone was allowed back inside the building within half an hour.
The hotel declined to comment on the fire.
Did you take any pictures of the fire? Send them to email@example.com.