Fire at Notcutts - smoke seen at Ipswich
PLUMES of smoke could be seen from miles today after wooden crates containing plastic pots caught fire at Notcutts Garden Centre in Pettistree.More than 15 firefighters from Woodbridge, Framlingham and Saxmundham attended the blaze which started at approximately 1.
PLUMES of smoke could be seen from miles today after wooden crates containing plastic pots caught fire at Notcutts Garden Centre in Pettistree.
More than 15 firefighters from Woodbridge, Framlingham and Saxmundham attended the blaze which started at approximately 1.30pm.
Numerous calls came in to the Evening Star's newsroom from readers in various parts of Ipswich reporting that they could see columns of smoke on the skyline in the Woodbridge direction.
One man said: "If I didn't know any better I would have thought it came from a crashed plane. The kind of smoke looked just like that coming from burning aviation fuel."
You may also want to watch:
The fire is believed to have started in a number of wooden crates containing plastic pots but at the time of going to press the cause of the blaze was not known.
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 6 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 7 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 8 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 9 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 10 Cheers! Ipswich pubs and restaurants welcome first indoor guests of 2021