Fire at RAF base
USAF firefighters from RAF Mildenhall joined Suffolk crews to tackle a shed blaze outside the base, which occurred at 3.32am today.
USAF firefighters from RAF Mildenhall joined Suffolk crews to tackle a shed blaze outside the base, which occurred at 3.32 am today.
The 11 firefighters and one on-scene commander from the 100th Civil Engineer Squadron fire department responded to the West Row fire after receiving a call from the base.
Six members from the Mildenhall Fire Service worked the fire from the opposite side of the 15square-metre shed and a portable building which were being consumed by flames.
Senior airman Matthew Mills, 352nd Maintenance Squadron communications navigations systems mission specialist, was working on base when he said he noticed high flames on the other side of the perimeter fence, commonly referred to as Spy Corner.
You may also want to watch:
Airman Mills said: “As soon as I saw it, I ran inside and dialed 911. The flames were at least 50 feet high. It appeared as though the flames were right next to or covering the fence.”
He added the 9-1-1 call to the on-base emergency line, connected him to the emergency dispatchers at the fire alarm communications centre. The dispatchers then called Suffolk fire service control centre.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 6 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Future of Swarovski in Buttermarket not crystal clear
- 9 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 10 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads