Ipswich residents evacuated after ‘possible flat fire’
- Credit: EMILY TOWNSEND
Residents were evacuated from their flats in central Ipswich after “a smell of burning” was reported.
Fire crews were called just after 7pm to Fore Hamlet, just off Fore Street. Suffolk Fire and Rescue sent 10 crews to reports of a possible flat fire.
Station Commander Sally Hammond said: “We received a call to a smell of burning and a possible flat fire at this residence.
“Because it’s flats we did send a number of appliances.
“They were here very quickly and we established there was some light smoke logging in the corridors. We evacuated the building and gained entry into the flat. We were able to ventilate it and found the cause of the fire was something that was left on the hob.
“We had a big attendance but were able to resolve it quickly.”
The residents were allowed back in after the flats had been ventilated.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 8 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 9 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 Overnight closures announced for Orwell Bridge works
Fire crews called a stop on the incident at 7.35pm and departed the scene shortly afterwards
No injuries were reported.