Fire drama at Suffolk pub

OWNERS of an historic Suffolk pub were today starting a clearing up operation after a fire in its kitchen.

OWNERS of an historic Suffolk pub were today starting a clearing up operation after a fire in its kitchen.

The blaze at the Ferry Boat Inn at picturesque Felixstowe Ferry broke out as staff began the busiest part of the evening, cooking meals for customers.

Firefighters found an extractor pipe alight in a flat-roofed kitchen extension at the rear of the pub.

They had to cut away part of the roof to see if the fire had spread and ensure it was out.


You may also want to watch:


A fire service spokeswoman said an extractor pipe was removed from the roof.

Officers wearing breathing apparatus also used a thermal imaging camera to check the extent of the blaze.

Most Read

The fire started shortly after 6pm and was attended by two crews from Felixstowe - and was out by 7.18pm.

Today it was all calm at the Ferry with thankfully no damage to the main part of the pub, the oldest part of the building, which is popular with residents and visitors to the fishing hamlet.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter