Fire guts house at Wattisham Airfield

A HOUSE at Wattisham airfield has been gutted by fire today.

A HOUSE at Wattisham airfield has been gutted by fire today.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in a detached, two-storey married quarters on the base in Chestnut Avenue at 8.03am.

Fire engines from Needham Market, Stowmarket and Hadleigh, a turntable ladder and two engines from the airfield attended.

The blaze began in the airing cupboard, a fire service spokesman said.


You may also want to watch:


The fire service said a thermal imaging camera was being used to check the loft.

The turntable ladder is being used to remove roof tiles. Police also attended the scene.

Most Read

The blaze was put out by 9.09am and no-one was injured.

It is believed to have been started by an overheating boiler.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter