Search

Smoking dishwasher prompts fire service visit to Ipswich Hospital maternity block

PUBLISHED: 15:26 28 November 2017 | UPDATED: 16:18 28 November 2017

The maternity block at Ipswich Hospital. Picture: ARCHANT

The maternity block at Ipswich Hospital. Picture: ARCHANT

Firefighters were scrambled to a Suffolk hospital this afternoon to reports of a fire.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to a fire in the maternity block at Ipswich Hospital just after 2.15pm.

An Ipswich Hospital spokesman has said that a dishwasher had started smoking heavily and the fire service was called as a precaution.

A Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added: “The hospital’s maintenance team pulled the appliance out of the wall, and with the help of the fire service put it out.”

The blaze was dealt with by just after 2.30pm.

No patients or staff were evacuated during the incident.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star